Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Who Am I? The Manager or the Entrepreneur

As I thought about this week's reading material I couldn't help but reflect upon my personal goals in life. One of my career goals is to earn a spot in management. Whether it's with the city or in the private sector, I want to be a manager. But I kept thinking about the horror stories of my day in dealing with bad managers. I promised myself I would never stoop to that level. I wrote a few things down that will help me remember who I really want to become. Entrepreneurs have a different motive than managers. Managers are put into position to keep things in orders, to keep a schedule and to manage a department. Managers need organizational skills. They need to be able to communicate effectively both written and verbal. The only motive they have is to do their job well and to keep things in order. They don’t necessarily have to be experts in all fields, just provide support when their team needs it. Managers are not leaders. There are no special attributes or characteristics required to be a manager. Entrepreneurs on the other hand are require to have all the skills of a manager. They must communicate effectively, be organized, and balance their time. Entrepreneurs are motivated by the success of their own doing and strive to better themselves. They are also leaders among their peers. They lead because they have been there done that. They desire to help others and serve the community. They are in it for the love. Their passion for business far exceeds their desire for money.

No comments:

Post a Comment